get monthly recipes, ideas and tips »
Recipe Category: Comfort Food
Turkey Gravy Recipe
- Giblet Broth
1 package neck, heart, gizzard from Plainville Farms turkey giblets
1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
1 medium onion, thickly sliced
1 medium celery rib, thickly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
- drippings from one Plainville Farms turkey
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, over high heat, place neck, heart, gizzard, vegetables and 1/2 teaspoon salt in enough cold water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 60 minutes, skimming any foam from the top.
- Strain broth into a large bowl; cover and reserve broth in the refrigerator for gravy.
- Remove cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Strain poultry drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup
- Add 1 cup giblet broth to the roasting pan and stir until the crusty brown bits are loosened; pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the cup with drippings. Let the mixture stand a few minutes, until the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt into the heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden brown.
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat remaining on top of the drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3-1/2 cups.
- Gradually whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook and stir, until gravy simmers and is slightly thick. Season to taste.
Recipe Source: National Turkey Federation
- Number of servings (yield): 14
Number of servings (yield): 14