Convection Oven Turkey Roasting Guidelines
Depending on your convection oven, cooking time will be reduced by 10 to 40%. Frequently the specified roasting temperature is also reduced. Because the conversion formula is different for each convection oven, many manufacturers provide conversion formulas on the front control panel of the oven.
Many convection ovens feature an electronic thermometer probe to assist accurate roasting. Set the
temperature probe to 175°F (the desired internal food temperature) and insert it in the thickest part of the turkey. The thermometer probe monitors the internal temperature and will alert you when the desired temperature is reached.
With or without the automatic thermometer, it’s always important to use a thermometer. Be sure the
internal temperature of the turkey reaches 175°F. If the turkey is stuffed, the stuffing temperature should register 165°F.
Grilling Convection oven Roasting guideline for fresh/thawed turkey
(open pan, lowest Rack position)
|Cooking Method||Cooking Temperature||Weight Unstuffed||Estimated Cooking Time||Weight Stuffed||Estimated Cooking Time|
|Roast||300° F||14 – 18 lbs.||2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hrs.||14 – 18 lbs.||2 1/2 to 3 hrs.|
|Roast||300° degrees F||18 – 22 lbs.||2 1/2 to 3 hrs.||18 – 22 lbs.||3 hrs. to 3 1/2 hrs.|
1. Roast the turkey in center of the lowest rack so the top of the turkey is centered in the oven. If two racks are used, place turkey on the lowest or middle rack. When baking with two pans, position them in opposite corners of the oven and not directly over each other.
2. No basting is necessary. If using a special sauce or marinade, only baste during the last hour of cooking.
3. Hot air must circulate for even heat distribution. For best results, allow 1-1/2 to 2 inches of space around the turkey, including other pans and oven walls.
4. Avoid opening the oven door frequently, as heat loss will increase roasting times.
5. Wings and drumsticks may brown more quickly; covering with foil will prevent over browning.
6. If tenting turkey with foil to reduce surface browning, be sure the foil is secured so it doesn’t blow around and impair the fan action.